Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Alphabet Pops

I got this idea from Pinterest (was there any doubt I would find it anywhere else :P)... originally the idea is from Kinderdi where they have shared pictures of the letter pops and some activities you can do with it. Here is how I made mine:


The materials I used were: Foam, Popsicle sticks, uppercase foam letters and lower case sticker letters (bought it from Michael's scrapbook section-they are chipboard letters) and hot glue gun. 

I cut out appropriate size circles and glued the letters using hot glue. Although both the foam letters and chipboard letters had sticky back, they would not stick on the foam, so I used hot glue. Then stick the foam on the popsicle sticks. 


The colorful letters make it look interesting and inviting. I did the vowel in one color. Although we are not really supposed to teach kids about vowels in Pre-K... I have some higher ability students who could understand this concept. So I thought no harm trying. 


We have broken these out in our classroom...right now we use them as a ticket to get off the carpet and get ready for lunch... I pull out random letter, point to a kid and he/she has to tell me what letter/sound. Kinderdi suggests using them in different ways-letter identification, putting them in order, sorting by colors. I made lower case...so they could play matching uppercase-lowercase! 

My next intention of using these are to put in alphabetical order- give each child a letter pop, then ask what letter come first (they should say "A")...ask child with A to come up, then ask what comes after B....and so on.Can't wait to try this game. 

Until next time,

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment